Wednesday, June 29, 2016

A visit to the Hotel Viking in historic Newport, RI

I know this is quite a bit out of sequence, but during these hot summer days of summer, isn't it a bit refreshing to see a bit of snow? :-)  As I mentioned earlier, I am playing a bit of catch up on my posts that were unfortunately put on the back burner due to circumstances beyond my control.  But I always say... "better late than never!" 

On a chilly February evening, I jumped in my car and drove south towards Rhode Island so that New England Fine Living followers could enjoy a stay at the Hotel Viking for the weekend with me, while exploring Newport and some of the grand Newport mansions that were still open during the winter season.  


As luck would have it, my friend and photographer for our magazine, Emily O'Brien , was already in town visiting her family, so she got to take a few additional pictures of my visit.


 My room was in the historic wing of the building and decorated with with the old Newport style in mind.

Sorry for the dark photos, but it was snapped with my phone at dusk (can you see the glow of the sunsetting outside my window?), but trust me, the bed was super cozy and comfortable!



One of the nights, I carried a martini up from the bar to enjoy while I wrote in my notebook.  Do you know how hard it is to take two elevators, walk down several hallways, while in high heels? I was super impressed myself if I do say so myself.  I did it all without spilling one drop! 


Each morning as I sat in this chair to put on my shoes, I felt a bit like royalty.

I had to make sure I packed the essentials for my trip. A little MAC, Chanel, Smashbox, Sephora, and Maybelline. This shows my true passion of mixing high-low in my everyday life. That goes for decorating, fashion, dining, and vacationing.

Emily's room was in the newer wing that offered a blend of old and new interior design touches.  It was here where I took advantage of some down time, while we chatted, to write thank you notes to some of the staff and local business owners I met. I love to bring cards with me where ever I go.  These happen to be from Crane & Co.




 And you gotta love the snacks left in the room!  Chocolate, chips, and wine..... bliss!



Each morning, I made a cup of coffee  and planned my day which eventually started with another cup of coffee in the restaurant.



One of my passions is finding off the beaten path places to walk, so I mapped my way to the historic part of town, 3rd street area, that is full of old colonials vs the stone and marble mansions.

Then of course, I could not visit Newport without seeing the mansions!  Discover Newport is a great place to learn more about what to see and do while visiting.


The interior of Hotel Viking was a beautiful blend of old and new with accents of wallpaper, molding, and brass and crystal lighting fixtures. 



Oh look, a little secret door to the back of the bar has been left open just for me! :-) 

The soft blue walls were set off by crisp white woodwork setting the tone that we are in a hotel near the ocean. 

During my stay, the restaurant was being remodeled, so we dined for breakfast, lunch and dinner in one of the banquet rooms.  They did a wonderful job during the whole remodeling process.  

Here was our morning omelette station, but there is also a full breakfast menu and buffet. 


A little shrimp cocktail before dinner. 

This dessert has a secret inside! Once hot chocolate is poured over the top, it melts open to reveal a delicious Tiramisu.


 My favorite was the blonde brownie.


Now it's time to walk off the amazing food!

Heading out through the courtyard to tour a few of the Newport mansions that were still open during the winter months.   








No comments:

Post a Comment