Sunday, November 21, 2010

Less is More in this home for the holidays

 
The following photos are the talented work of  Mary McDonald as shown in Veranda Magazine


One of the most visited pages on my web site, New England Fine Living,  is the PEACOCK WEDDING and Party page, so I was thrilled when my eyes caught a glimpse of this New England style room with the simple peacocks, fruits, ornaments, and greenery surrounding the entryway to the dining room of this magnificent home.   The bright and stately colors show beautifully against the wood and guilded furniture.  This look could transition easily from pre-Thanksgiving right through to New Years Eve. 

The mansion by my home, Turner Hill Mansion, has a peacock as it's logo.  The previous owner used to raise them on the property (they have a stuffed one inside that I was told was one of the "original" peacock pets), so the first masquerade ball I styled there, for the Ipswich Rotary Fundraiser, had peacock wreaths and candles as the dining table centerpieces.  I even took the peacock statue from my garden and added him to the front entryway of my store. 



The two pictures above look as if the wood has been whitewashed or pickled which is setting off the stunning greens just as much as the dark wood in the first photo. I can't help but wonder if this home is in New England due to a lot of the styling shown in side.


In the dining room, what looks like cedar and fir evergreen takes center stage with just a few touches of white and clear baubles and white flowers, showing us that less really can be more.    You can find more information and photos of other New England style entertaining ideas on my web site, New England Fine Living.com

2 comments:

  1. I love love love this cedar! It is so "Southern" looking. Now you have me wanting to re-do everything that I have done. I did whimsical this year, and I have never done this before, and am a little "unsure" of it. (Especially after seeing your post) :) Oh well. About the e-mails, I am clueless. It was one of my friends names that I clicked on to open an e-mail, and I knew it wasn't her when I saw all the jumbled up letters, and the time that it was sent. She too, had been hacked. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that I just found your site (this very minute) and posted today about pheasant and peacock feathers--wish I had seen your post first--the images and story are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete